Sunday, June 20, 2010

HAPPY FATHER's DAY



MY DAD

My dad could really do everything
I can't think of nothing he couldn't!
So growing up, no wonder I thought he was king
when he brought home our Bruno, the runt...

He wanted to sew and so he did;
He wanted to fish and he fished.
He wanted to draw and could if he would
that cartoon guy was terrif!

He shared stinky sardines, made perfect popcorn and shrimp;
Remember that time when he broke his foot and walked with a limp?
"Go to the Doctor!" Mom scolded over and over...
"For Crying OUt Loud!" He was lucky and always found a 4 leaf clover!

His smoked fish he cooked were his speciality!
His jerky and salmi he shared with me...
He tried to act shy when everyone praised him,
But Jimmany Christmas, his light never grew dim.

He could drive a car when he was only small;
He couldn't have been very tall.
But he was helping his brothers in their time of need...
I really think he was going the right speed.

My dad loved to hunt and fish in the streams
(of course! he tied his own flies!)
He took his rubber raft or his aluminum boat...
he would take the kids (don't ask me why?)
and listen to our cries...
I'm sure he was praying we'd all float!

My dad loved to swim and taught the little ones
on his swim team he made it cheerful and fun.
I always wondered though, why mom didn't swim?
I guess she didn't want to show off her "tan" (freckles) from the sun?

From fixing tires, training dogs, painting houses and catching mouses;
Driving up and down the "thrill hills"
From digging bottles and storing wheat; planting flowers ever so sweet;
from eating ice cream with peanuts and his homemade chili and mac and cheese
(dont forget the catsup, please)
The ravioli and shakes from the club were great
especially when we didn't have to be in bed at 8!

We can't forget our Whitefish lake and the memories we made there...
like skipping rocks and swimming to the dock
and how dad could tell time without looking at a watch
and always stopping for a FROSTY nickle cone.

My dad could take pictures that were out of this world..
I know that's a talent from heaven!
And best of all, he gave the gift of life
to us...the McMaster magnificent seven!

My dad was a special friend to me..
I'll admit I was in awe for awhile.
Now he shares things with me that help me along
and I think of those with a smile....

So now, on Father's Day, I just wish to say,
"Dad, I'm so thankful you came along...
What would life be without your doggie laugh(HEE HEE HEE)
when you SPIED the biggest huckleberries
and don't forget Flathead lake Cherries!
Those Indian burns on our arms and your beautiful tenor songs....
and if he got too stressed, he would just go "CHECK THE MAIL" at box 808
I love you so much and all your memories are so great!
(I really could go on and on...)

I truly have missed you these past 10 years (dad got to go to heaven on May 10. 2000)

FAMILIES ARE FOREVER.

1 comment:

  1. That's neat to read, Mom. To get an insight into your perspective of your pops.

    ReplyDelete